Editing or modifying metabase.xml on Windows Server 2003 IIS 6
I just had an interesting incident directly editing the metabase.xml file on Windows 2003 server with IIS 6. After editing the file, IIS would not restart claiming some sort of invalid character in the file. Also notepad++ would not open the metabase.xml file.
I had edited the file with Wordpad. This was a big mistake as it turns out. There must be something with the encoding that Wordpad does not handle properly. Notepad++ kept claming the file did not even exist and asked if I wanted to create it.
Fortunately I had followed sage wisdom and created a copy of the metabase.xml file before editing it. So I was able to revert to that.
Then when I tried editing it with notepad.exe, it worked fine. I looked at the Wordpad edited copies and they all had some weird characters inserted into the file."
Then I decided to look at it some more. I'm not sure what the issue was. Notepad claims the encoding on metabase.xml is UTF-8.
AH HA! I looked at a version of metabase.xml saved with Wordpad, and the encoding came back as ANSI. Bad wordpad!!!!"
On Windows 2003 server with IIS6, I was having some trouble in myPhpAdmin getting a fastCGI error 258 which is some sort of timeout.
The fix was, in the fcgiext.ini file, to add an
activitytimeout=300. The default was 30 seconds and was not long enough to do copies of larger databases in myPhpAdmin.
So now the fcgiext.ini file looks like this for the PHP section:
ExePath=C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\php-cgi.exe
Also I had noticed the fcgiext.ini file is in C:\Windows\System32 and also in C:\Windows\SysWow64. I am guessing the file used depends if IIS is running in 32 bit or 64 bit mode.
I only noticed the fciext.ini file being in multiple locations because when I tried to edit the one in System32 using notepad++ it had actually opened and was editing the one in SysWow64. But that's probably a topic for a different thread! :)"